Sunday, November 18

"A" - Advent AltAred Art Book

So, you remember my post yesterday? I am writing about things for which I'm grateful...and today's letter is "A". (T-H-A-N-K-S) The "A" I'm thankful for today is "AltAred Art!" Surprised?

I am creating an advent AltAred book for each of my two nieces. As you may recall, yesterday, I had the project completed up to and including the coin envelopes. I had them hot glued together (by the way, I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but only put a line of hot glue down the middle of the envelope...do NOT glue the sides
completely together. The "honeycomb" effect will not happen if you do this...trust me.

The next thing I did was to glue little bits of ribbon at the opening of each envelope. This is what makes the sideview so wonderfully colorful! I then glued the 3 stacks of 8 envelopes side by side in the center of the book, gluing the bottom envelope and the top envelope of each stack to the center pages.
Snazzy, huh? Next I began covering each exposed page with papers, embellishments, and tags. Each page is different, and kind of evolved organically. I didn't have a particular theme or title in mind when I began gluing! These are the first two pages...I just LOVE the Candy Cane papers!
Page 1 Detail Page 2 Detail

Page 3 Page 4

After I finished these pages, I took the 24 sticks of gum, and cut 24 strips of paper (each about 3 inches long) and then taped the paper to the end of each foil wrapped stick of gum. I then numbered the paper, 1-24. (Just like the ribbons glued to the envelopes, I staggered the colors of each paper "tab" so the finished product would be more interesting. Below is a detail of the ribbons and paper tabs)





Back Cover



Paper Beads, Buttons, and Ribbon Trim

Voila! The finished Product!

And since I had some left over paper, I decided to make my sister a Christmas Planner out of a regular, school theme book. Here's the cover:



And the inside of the front cover:



To finish the book, I glued a red, polka dot ribbon in the center of the book as a bookmark.

If anyone would like instructions with greater detail, or if you don't understand something, please email and let me know...I'll be glad to walk you through it!


No comments: