Wednesday, February 27

BLOGGING WITHOUT OBLIGATION

Dear Readers,

I have recently been plagued with "the guilts" in regard to my blogging frequency. During November of last year (if you look at the archives in the sidebar you'll see evidence that attests to this fact) I took the Blog Everyday for a Month challenge. Well, other than being incredibly difficult to be sure I am online AND posting every single day, I reviewed the reasons why one might decide to agree to such a thing. For ME it was nothing more than the fabulous prizes. I confess. My love language is gifts and I LOVES ME SOME FABULOUS PRIZES! Other than that, all that was accomplished was an incredible feeling of guilt and/or shame if/when I posted something less than spectacular. ERGO, (inhaling deeply)

I have determined to make my blog a GUILT FREE ZONE. I hereby forbid ANYONE to feel guilty for coming by or not coming by, commenting or not commenting, posting or not posting, etc. etc. etc. The whole point of a blog is (at least for ME) is that it provides a creative outlet for writing, sharing, connecting and becoming part of a larger community. THEREFORE, let us strike forever the words: "I'm sorry I haven't posted in awhile."

Lest you, dear and loyal reader PANIC and believe that I will reduce my posts to an annual Christmas letter, NEVER FEAR! I believe that grace in THIS place (as grace in any other) will allow me the FREEDOM to post even MORE. It's one of those unexplainable phenomena that occurs when I am not OBLIGATED to do something, I want to do it all the more. Perhaps it's the rebel in me. Perhaps it's the misplaced hippie (she said twirling in her 'tent dress' and tossing daisies to every one)

I decided it is time to rethink what makes a good blog and the expectations that have come to be part of it. And with that thought I give you Blogging Without Obligation. (Note the little logo in the sidebar...steal if you wish)
  • Because you shouldn't have to look at your blog like it is a treadmill.
  • Because its okay to just say what you have to say. If that makes for a long post, fine. Short post, fine. Frequent post, fine. Infrequent post, fine.
  • Because its okay to not always be enthralled with the sound of your own typing.
  • Because sometimes less is more.
  • Because only blogging when you feel truly inspired keeps up the integrity of your blog.
  • Because they are probably not going to inscribe your stat, link and comment numbers on your tombstone.
  • Because for most of us blogging is just a hobby. A way to express yourself and connect with others. You should not have to apologize for lapses in posts. Just take a step back and enjoy life, not everything you do has to be "bloggable".
  • Because if you blog without obligation you will naturally keep your blog around longer, because it won't be a chore. Plus, just think you will be doing your part to eradicate post pollution. One post at a time. . .

More soon....or maybe NOT! (Just Kidding)

PAULA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guilt free zone......LOVE THAT!!!! I guess that means I need not apologize for not commenting. *smile*

You were right however, who wants to make blogging just another something on the endless to do list of our lives.

Take care...hope you are all doing well. We here in the far reaches of the state are all doing well.

Luvz Ya~
Angeleenee

Unknown said...

OKay, I guess I'll try this then. I mean since I don't have to apologize for ANYTHING! Who knows, maybe after making a few comments, I'll feel like creating my own blogspot. (or not) actually, SOMEBODY has to read and make comments on other people's blogs or we would all just be talking to ourselves into cyber-space.

So is this all there is. . . ?