Wednesday, March 21

PRAYER FLAGS...

Greetings, friends! I have been away at my annual Lenten Silent Retreat (go here to read more about it) and this year came away with Prayer Flags. 

I am always regenerated and refreshed in solitude, and as such, I have learned to bring along creative supplies for just such "bursts" of creativity! Last year I and the ladies created canvas bookmarks...memories of our time together with each other and Jesus. This year, we made prayer flags from the same canvas dropcloth! (I just LOVE using raw canvas and a dropcloth (sold for protecting from paint splatters) gives me yards and yards of raw, ravel-ly area to rip, tear, stain, paint, cut, fold, spindle and mutilate as I see fit!

You may remember, last year I used the raw canvas as the backdrop for  my Lenten Art Projects: 

And this year, I used it to make a set of prayer flags for each of the ladies at the retreat. The canvas drop cloth comes with edges bound and hemmed, so I simply cut 6 5.5" squares near the edge and did not cut through the binding...so that the flags will already be "hooked" together and ready to hang! I then used the few bottles of paint I brought (I had limited colors, and wanted the flags to be vibrant, so rather than paint a white or beige background, I went back to "Kindergarten Color Mixing 101" and made purple, sage green and coral (FYI: Fashionistas: A VERY "in" color this spring) Of course I had to have my red and aqua and orange completes the rainbow.

 I then began to think of the things I pray for or "claim" for this year for my family: Rev. Samuel Rodriguez's words about 2011 being a time of "pruning and cutting back" (DEAR LORD not another year like THAT!) and 2012 a year of Promotion, Protection and Provision! I'll "claim that!" for my family!


And Health! Yes! This year will be a year of good health for my family and friends...

 A year of blessing! YES, PLEASE LORD JESUS! (The little scrolls are scriptures pertaining to God's blessing and provision)
JOY! YES! I will CHOOSE joy each day and will live with an "attitude of gratitude" for every good thing in my life!
 An Abundant Life! No more living in "lack!" This year is the year of abundance and bounty...MY GOD owns it all...
And my heartfelt, perpetual prayer, "Let there be peace on earth...and let it begin with me." Amen.
I then sprayed the flags with sealer to make them weatherproof! And now, dear Sister Wind, carry these prayers to God's ears!
More soon!
Paula Clare

7 comments:

My Vintage Mending said...

Beautiful. Blessings to you and your family during this season of lent. Smiles...Renee

Cat said...

Gorgeous!!

E said...

What a meaningful piece, and a great idea for my VBS friends. "Joy" is my fav Blessings to you and yours, Elaine

Creative Breathing said...

Dear Paula, I have been away from our community for such a long time. I have missed terribly the wonderful friends I have made here. I had forgotten how much your passion for your faith is such an inspiration to me. This banner is so lovely. It has "you" in every single corner. Hope to see you soon! Elizabeth

Linda Ruthie said...

What a wonderful project.
I haven't visited for a while and as soon as you page loaded, I thought, 'It's always so cheerful here at Paula's'. Love the bright colors on your blog and your project.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I am so in love with your prayer flags. They're beautiful and creative-and such a great idea! I bet the women at my church-and the kids too- would really get into this!
Hugs to you!

Creative Breathing said...

Hi Paula, So happy to hear from you! Thinking of you often. Hope to see art from you soon! Elizabeth