Monday, February 27

WHAT I'M DOING FOR LENT...

Greetings, friends!

I know many of you know that I always observe some kind of discipline for Lent...this year, I felt behooved to make my discipline (insert ominous organ music here) COOKING! (collective gasps heard all around)

You can follow my Culinary tales here on my Contemporary Monk Blog...also, those of you on Facebook, I post a daily link to my blog to keep you updated.

Here is today's exciting episode...enjoy! lol

COOKING ON $2 A DAY: DAY 4

Hello friends and those with morbid curiosity!

Today was day four of our $2 a day meal challenge. And I confess to you...we blew it. I DID cook today (as was my original Lenten discipline "deal" with God) but for breakfast only. I felt that I am to allow myself the grace of ONE meal out per weekend, and today was that day. So we seriously "blew" the $2 a day budget. However, in only cooking breakfast, I DID meet the breakfast quota:

Chocolate Chip muffins ($1.00 mix - 6 servings) .16 per serving. 1/2 banana .12 Hot tea .05  Total breakfast: Bud: 16x3=.48,+.12+.05=.65  Paula: 16x2=.32+.12+.05=.49. Grand total breakfast: $1.14

THEN, we finished off the leftover pizza after church, and took a bit of a road trip to see an amazing roadside attraction recently in the newspaper:

THE VANDALIA FIRE-BREATHING DRAGON!
I know many of you are jealous and cannot imagine what kind of good fortune would afford us such an awe inspiring sight...but here it is, in all it's tin and metal glory...(note the husband and wee dog in the picture for scale) YES, he's HUGE. The sight of him evokes fear into the hearts of man and beast alike...Powered by a 20 lb. propane tank, the dragon (once enticed by a token) spews fire at innocent onlookers. Pics below of a "terrified tourist" fleeing for her life...
 NOTE: my terror as I stand in the shadow of the beast and "feed" the dragon the token ...

 And I immediately run in fear for my life...
 (Fortunately, Bud caught this dramatic moment on film, lest the dragon get the best of me and actually do something film worthy)
 Determining I am now at a safe distance, I turn to face my would-be assassin...
 THEN...WEBSTER TO THE RESCUE! Behold, Webster the Wonder Dog attempting to slay the dragon for his masters...
On the lower left corner of the picture I have circled and pointed to our fearless protector....

MY HERO! However, upon closer inspection, the ferocious  face of this stainless wonder looks more like a friendly puppy...
And so, road trip taken, fierce some beast assuaged, we leave in search of...LUNCH!
We found a happy little local haunt...the ChuckWagon, and had a delicious Sunday meal (well over $2) and then the intrepid explorers made their way back to the Vern, feeling quite satisfied in their conquering of the Vandalia Tourist Trap Dragon!
Stay tuned tomorrow for more exciting tales of culinary delight and adventure!

3 comments:

vivian said...

wow.. 2.00 a meal. I do think its totally possible.. good for you. Im such a heathen.. I dont do anything for lent!
I do appreciate all that do though!
have a great day Paula!
love the dragon pics!
xoxo
vivian

My Vintage Mending said...

Well done. My husband and I love to cut the cost of meals as much as we can so that we might enjoy one meal out a week with the kids in tow. That dragon is quite impressive...glad you enjoyed a lunch out...smiles...Renee

Elle R. said...

daaamn!!! I don't even know how that is possible! good job =)